Sunday, August 23, 2009

Deep Conversations

Before starting this post, let me just say that I've honestly had a drafted post in my "Edit" file for weeks now on the making over of our upstairs bathroom. However, I've held off posting it since I still don't have the pictures to upload (for the extra flavoring).

Now, on to the post.

This is (nearly word for word) a conversation had by my mother and I in front of our local Family Video tonight, arguing over who would take back the movie:

The time - 10:30 p.m.

We're on our way to pick up my brother and need to return a rental by midnight. We're sitting in front of the movie shack - I in the driver's seat, my mom in the passenger's seat, closest to the building. There are no other cars in the parking lot, save for one silver pick-up truck. My mom is in her "pj's," a pair of pastel capris coupled with a robin's egg blue t-shirt. I'm wearing a pair of Nike shorts and a Pitt Zoo t-shirt. These are important facts, so pay attention. Now, on to the dialogue.

me:
"You've got the DVD?"

Mom: "Yeah. Here."

"Well no, you go - just stick it in the return slot."

"No?!"

"Yes?!"

"No!"

"Why not?"

"Look at me! I'm in my pj's!"

"So? I go INTO the store in my pj's all the time."

(look of horror) "Well I'm not getting out the car looking like this."

"C'mon, I'm in the driver's seat."

"So?"

"So?...I don't want to put the car in park."

"Uuuuugh..."

(two seconds of silence)

(unison)
"You gonna go? NO!"

me: "Why'd you wanna come?"

Mom: "To keep you company?"

"Wha?...okay, come on. Just go stick it in the slot. You don't even have to go inside."

"But there's a guy in there!"

"Since when do you care?? You're married!"

"I'm in my pj's!"

"Those're barely pj's. I'm in shorts and a t-shirt, and I'll probably wear those to bed, so I'm in my pj's too!"

"I'm not going!"

"C'mon, please? I'll give you a quarter?"

(cocks head) "Uh, no."

"No really, a quarter. (silence) Okay, two quarters, both my own, too."

"What?! No!"

"Okay, three quarters....a dollar."

(silence) "No! Just do it yourself, you dork."

(gasp) "Are you serious? You wouldn't take a dollar to walk, oh, thirty steps to drop a movie in a slot? Are you crazy? You can pick the type of money, change or paper..."

"No."

(long pause)

"...would you pay ME a dollar?" (grins)

I ended up doing it. *sigh*

1 comment:

Shambleyqueen said...

we are so coolness.