Saturday, November 20, 2010

I'm Engaged!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

I love to write Steve letters. Letters and cards. As often as I can, I mail them, hide them somewhere for him to find, etc.

Friday night I get my Jeep back from a long month of repairs and decide I want to drive. We were going out that night so I picked him up at 6:30. He came out of the house with a USPS shipping box. When I asked, he told me it was his sister's Christmas gift.

We drive to the mall and park, and he asks me to turn on the interior light. From the box, he pulls out seven envelopes, numbered 1-7 on the front. "I know I've said I'd someday write you some notes too, so I'm catching up." As I take them in my lap, grinning ear to ear and eager to rip into them, he adds, "and since it's close to Thanksgiving, I'm sure you'll notice a trend."

I open the first note and find one line of words to the effect of: "I'm SO THANKFUL that on July 4th, 2009, I met you at the Harrisville volleyball tournament." With it were three cute little girl volleyball player clip art pictures. The letters went on, each one further detailing our relationship with the "thankful trend" - "...thankful you said yes when I asked you out," "...thankful I could take care of you after your surgery," "...thankful you put up with my goofiness and faults." So when I read the last note and looked up at him to give him a hug and say "thank you," there he is with a black velvet ring box in hand, and he says, "And I'd be even MORE thankful if you would marry me."

*insert "OMG! OMG! OMG! yes! oooooh my goodness!!! I don't believe it!" [hug, kiss, hug, kiss]*

3 comments:

Beth McAndrews said...

Very sweet and original proposal!! I love the ring and can't wait to see it in person tomorrow!!

Bethany said...

Awww how sweet! Gorgeous ring, too.

The Kilted Scholar said...

Congrats, Sammi! I'm so excited for you!